Great demo on the distinction! I also enjoy treating the first rib. The literature does not give a lot of direction, beyond elevated rib. I screen and treat for the following:
1. lateral elevation
2. posterior elevation with anterior depression
3. anterior elevation with posterior depression
4. anterior and medial rotation
5. posterior and medial rotation
6. inferior posterior portion elevated anterior
7. compressed medially at both ends.
As the first rib is covered by the clavicle, the anterior portion can only be evaluated through the medial clavicle, and just beneath it.
I agree with you re the relevance of treating the first rib, given the direct attachment of the
top of the sympathetic chain.
Keep up the good work, a client has found your posts.